Saturday, March 31, 2007

Rimba Executive Housing areas

This week jungle trekking took us nears Rimba Executive Housing areas. We left UBD around 4.40 pm on Wednesday and arrive at our trekking area 10 minutes afterwards. I led a group of 12 students and left 5 minutes after the 2nd group set out their venture all the while managing to complete the whole journey approximately 1hour 30 minutes soon after.

I have to admit that I was pretty anxious before we set out, but after stumbling onto our marker (polka dot pink ribbon) one after the other my confidence began to build up. Our track this time, I supposed was a bit more interesting as we came across animal track and plants that was not part of our trail last time.

The one that was still imprinted in my mind was the one where we found wild boar and its infant hoofs mark, I was amazed how strong it was judging from the clearing it dug out. In addition to that we were privileged to come across its home, a depression made on elevated hillside framed by tree roots.

Plants that I remembered were kudup-kudup (professed to have healing property), sage (natural alternatives for water treatment), halia and simpur (traditionally and perhaps still used for packaging food).

Overall, I think the trip was educational plus my role as a leader had trained me to be more focus to my surrounding in the near future.

No comments: