Slip, Sink, Slide
Our last trekking location, Kg. Padnunok was nothing like what I’ve seen and been to before. The landscape was rather different. The moment I arrived at the village, I felt as though I was in some faraway traditional kampong. I could feel the tranquillity of it all… The cattle, mud lake, vast green land, narrow sandy paths, small hills, barbed wire fencing, the bubu that was left on the side of the lake, and … that smell that occasionally wafted through the air… All of these created the village life atmosphere.(--,)
Our last trekking location, Kg. Padnunok was nothing like what I’ve seen and been to before. The landscape was rather different. The moment I arrived at the village, I felt as though I was in some faraway traditional kampong. I could feel the tranquillity of it all… The cattle, mud lake, vast green land, narrow sandy paths, small hills, barbed wire fencing, the bubu that was left on the side of the lake, and … that smell that occasionally wafted through the air… All of these created the village life atmosphere.(--,)
After about half-an-hour walk on the scenic route, we reached and ventured into the forest. According to Dr. Irene, we were the pioneers to trek this forest, and hence the trail was much less trodden than our previous trekking locations. This was one of the reasons why this trek was a tad harder than what we’ve experienced before. Every so often, roots, the damp, slippery soil, and hanging lianas almost made me slip. In addition to that, there was barbed wire fencing juxtaposing the path that we took in the forest. Every time, I felt I was loosing my footing, my reflex would tell me to hold onto something, but as soon as my eyes saw the barbed fence, No, not that one! The greatest challenge was however, the very steep gradient that we had to climb (and slide) down. Not only was it steep, but it was slippery. The experience was nevertheless adventurous and fun! d('',)
When we finally emerged into civilisation, it was already dusk. We continued on our journey back to the starting point resolutely. Although it was getting darker, I’d rather it be that way – without using torchlight. It became increasingly peaceful by the minute. The night sky strewn with stars, the moonlight that provided some luminosity, the orchestrating insects in the background and silhouettes of trees against the twilight sky… Such is the beauty of nature…! Another BEAP successfully completed; looking forward to its continuation next semester. Congratulations to everyone! ; )
No comments:
Post a Comment